Everyone needs time but as a mother, there is nothing you can use more. Whether you are a working mom or a stay at home mom, you need time to complete all your task and if you don’t manage it well it can be pretty stressful and everyone can use tips on how to be more effective with their time. So today’s post will be exactly that – time management tips for moms. Why? Let’s keep reading!
I am a married SAHM (stay at home mom) with four kids. Days were always pretty typical but also stressful. They required your typical getting kids ready for school, making breakfast, driving kids to school, driving hubby to work, cleaning the house, making dinner, and such. Then add working from home and things were even more hectic. Try sitting at a computer trying to check your email and complete task with a baby crying or a young child needing something every five minutes.
What I was lacking at the time was definitely poor time management skills. As you get older, you live and you learn and you realize you have to take every moment into account because – Time is precious. From the time you spend in your career, to the time you spend with your kids, cherish every bit of it and don’t forget to add-in those spare moments to yourself. So here are some time management tips for moms. It doesn’t matter how busy you are, you can benefit from these little tips.
1. Get enough ZZZZs-Sleep is essential to our health. A good nights rest allows you to be fully functional in the morning and helps you to focus on the task ahead. Plus it is necessary for stress relief. If you are tired you will be sluggish and waste more time.
2. Don’t multitask- Weird but true and I can vouch for this. When you choose one task you can give it your full attention and complete the task more efficiently. I am not good at multitasking and I will not even try it, lol.
Tip: One golden gem that I have discovered to be very useful for helping parents complete tasks are voice assistant devices. For more information about voice assistants, check out this guide: https://www.reviews.com/voice-assistant/
3. Delegate task where do- You are the mom, yes true, but you don’t have to be supermom, sorry nope! There are others in the home who can complete their own chores so let them do so. Besides, you are teaching your children independence. So learn when to allow others to help, I know sometimes it is hard for us women to let go, but take a pointer from Elsa and “Let it Goooo!” Lol
4. Double up on meals- This works great especially on weekends to give you extra time for things you might want to do with your family or just to relax. Make a big pot of soup or Lasagna, this way you can also freeze it if need be.
5. Set achievable goals– Putting too much on anyone is a stress in itself and it causes procrastination. Make a to-do list and prioritize but make the goal reachable. Then stay focused on the task at hand.
6. Pick outfits for the week- This is something I do for my children. You can choose what your outfits for work and have them hung in the closet. You can do the same for your children. Mornings will be a lot simpler I promise.
7. Make a weekly calendar- Take a few minutes every week to plan the week ahead. Use a proper calendar, like a paper planner calendar.
8. Have fun-Remember you have a life and you are allowed to live it. Take time to enjoy your family by taking vacations and having family game nights.
9. Take care of yourself– Your health is the foundation of your being. If you are not healthy you can not be at your best. Don’t forget to take care of yourself by eating healthy and taking the time to exercise.
At the end of a long day don’t forget to reward yourself. If you can reward your kids for their hard work then don’t you deserve the same? Take a nice warm bath. Curl up with one of your favorite books, after all, reading is a great way to relieve stress. Take the time to enjoy one of your favorite hobbies like art. Take a day out of the month to have a spay day at home.
For tips on how to have a perfect spa day at home click here.
Getting Help From Your Kids
If you want to get a little help from your children here are a few tips:
Use a title – Have you ever had your children tell you their teacher picked a job for them in class. My daughter had to pick her job last week and she was so excited. Using a title at home reinforces children behaviors giving them the motivation to help. They are much more excited to do chores at home. Try it!
Start early – Research has shown that the early you start children with chores the easier it will be to become part of their routine. Have them do the easy things like put up their toys. You will give your children a great benefit by helping them to be independent adults.
Stay consistent but change it up – Consistency is always important to keep the motivation. However, you need to change up the task to keep it exciting. Just remember to keep the task easy for their age.
Start them off – Remember to demonstrate how the task is to be completed at first so they know the appropriate way to do them. Always be there to lend a hand if they need you and never be hard on them if they can’t complete it.
Don’t forget to praise your children for a job well done. Try to keep chores as positive as possible. This is a great time to teach them independence and time management as well.
When you manage your time you are able to determine which task is best for you and you can give your full focus to those tasks. Time management gives us more control over how we spend our time allowing some relief from stress. Sometimes you may still need a little help around the house completed your task. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, you deserve it!
Think you can’t implement all these tips into your day, you can! It will take practice but once you do you will be glad you did. Take the extra time you get to enjoy every moment because believe me-time does fly! I hope these time management tips for moms were as useful to you as they have been to me.
If you have some time management tips you would like to share that help you please feel free to do so below. I hope this article has been useful. Any feedback would also be welcome!